- Acer overcame incredible design challenges to create two pretty, smart and incredibly powerful touch Ultrabooks nearly as thin as a tablet.
- Featuring an all-aluminum unibody design, the razor-thin Acer S7 Ultrabooks are exceptionally thin and light, yet resilient and durable. Depending on model, they are as thin as .47 inches and weigh as little as 2.29 pounds.
- The Aspire S7 Series includes models with a 13.3-inch or 11.6-inch full high-definition (1920 x 1080) touch screen that are protected by rigid lids made of white Gorilla Glass 2 or aluminum.
- Optimizing its touch capabilities, the lid on the S7-391 tilts back a full 180 degrees, allowing it to be used flat against a table or desk, much as one would use a tablet; a hotkey rotates the view 180 degrees making it easy to share the screen with others.
- A unique dual torque hinge design enables the display to stay upright and stable even when used for touch input.
- Acer’s new innovative thermal design, TwinAir cooling (patent-pending), extends battery life and keeps the Ultrabook cool and comfortable to use.
- The S7’s light-sensing keyboard automatically detects changes in lighting conditions and adjusts the keyboard backlight brightness.
- Featuring Windows 8 and a 10-point touch screen, navigating between applications is natural and intuitive, making computing easier, faster and more convenient. Other key features include 3rd Generation Intel Core processors, solid state drives and up to 12 hours of battery life with second optional battery(2).
Acer America today announced the Oct. 26th availability of its highly anticipated Acer Aspire S7 Touch Ultrabook Series in North America. Previewed in Europe and Asia, the S7 has already been hailed as one of the most exciting Windows 8-based touch Ultrabooks to debut this holiday season. As thin as a tablet, the Aspire S7 has a simple, clean design with embellishments kept to a minimum to maintain a clean and elegant look. The use of straight lines, glossy white glass, glowing light and anodized aluminum have culminated in notebooks that champion cutting edge technology alongside innovative design.
“Acer took a fresh approach to the design and development of the Aspire S7, using premium construction methods and materials,” said Sumit Agnihotry, vice president of product marketing for Acer. “We also used cutting-edge manufacturing processes that are not typically used in the PC industry, but were necessary to achieve the high-level of engineering and design quality we set for the S7.”
Ultrabooks don’t get any more Stunning than this
All models in the S7 Series feature a unibody design made from a single block of aluminum, so their chassis are ultra-thin, super tough and ideal for the road. All models in the S7 Series feature full high definition IPS 10-point displays with 1920 x 1080 resolution. In addition, wide viewing angle technology provides consistent and accurate color from viewing angles up to 178 degrees.
One of the most striking design elements of the Aspire S7 is the elegant white design on the S7-391 models featuring a 13.3-inch touch screen display. The full high-definition screen is surrounded by a glossy white Gorilla Glass 2 cover that is smooth to the touch, beautiful to the eye, thin yet super strong, scratch-resistant and easy-to-clean. Not only is it visually striking, it provides structural strength, yet is flexible enough to handle the routine impacts of daily use. Furthering its durability, Acer included a thin, soft cushion of material between the aluminum frame and the Gorilla Glass, so if the S7 is dropped, the impact will mainly be absorbed by the chassis and not the glass. This greatly reduces chance of significant damage.
The smaller and lighter S7-191 model includes an 11.6-inch high definition touch screen, and features an all-aluminum unibody and aluminum cover with an elegant cross direction brushed finish. The result is a very unique high-end pattern, with the surface resembling an elegant textured fabric. It looks beautiful and feels smooth to the touch, but also adds to its durability and repels messy finger prints and smudges.
Optimized for Touch
Taking full advantage of the touch benefits associated with Windows 8, the touch enabled screen found on the S7-391 models can be laid back flat 180 degrees, and the image orientation reversed for sharing and collaborating with others.
One of the cutting-edge manufacturing processes used in the production of the S7 was the development of a dual torque hinge on the lid, which was necessary to create the perfect amount of resistance for touch control. Not typically used in the PC industry, Acer used an automotive manufacturing process used to forge car wheels to make them durable. Using this technique allowed Acer to directly attach the hinge structure to the forged display frame, so the display frame is actually part of the hinge. It also affixes both the panel and glass as well. This is what enables the display to stay upright and stable even when touched.
Keeping it Cool with an Innovative Thermal Design
To ensure the S7 stays running cool, Acer created a new thermal solution called “TwinAir” cooling, an innovative thermal design that extends battery life and keeps the Ultrabook cool and comfortable to use. Two small high-speed (10,000 rpm) thermal fans are used; one to pull in cool air, while another releases hot air. The placement of the fans also ensures the warmest components are kept away from users’ fingertips.
The Keyboard, Reinvented
The unique design of the S7 and its touch screen capabilities inspired Acer engineers to re-think the traditional keyboard. Acer incorporated an electroluminescent (El) backlit keyboard which automatically turns on and off and adjusts its brightness level based on the ambient lighting. This light sensing backlit keyboard is one of the thinnest backlit solutions currently available, and is optimized for visual comfort and easy visibility in dim environments. The electroluminescent lighting offers a gentler and more comfortable light than LED backlit keyboards.
Thin but still Powerful
Despite its ultra-thin design, the Aspire S7 includes powerful technologies including 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3317UB or i7-3517U processors and solid state drives in a RAID 0 configuration for extremely fast read/write times. An embedded Li-Polymer battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life, and an optional second battery doubles computing time up to 12 hours(2).
In addition, the S7 ships with a micro HDMI to VGA cable for use with projectors for presentations, a USB to RJ45 port for connecting to a wired network and a carrying case.
All models in the Aspire S7 Series also include Acer Theft Shield, a free software based solution. When enabled, the Ultrabook recognizes the distance from a designated Wi-Fi signal source, and if the system moves beyond 10 feet of the signal, a loud siren will sound from the Ultrabook’s speakers. This feature can easily be enabled and disabled, and will be especially useful when traveling.
Instantly On and Always Connected
The Aspire S7 Ultrabooks include Acer Green Instant On technology for fast boot and resume, and Acer Always Connect, which lets users manage their multimedia and data on all their devices at anytime, anywhere, even from sleep.
Innovative Acer Green Instant On and Acer Always Connect technologies enable data upload and retrieval anytime, anywhere, and deliver power-saving features as well. Acer Green Instant On provides instant-resume functionality (in 1.5 seconds)(3) and ensures battery life that lasts several weeks(4).
Acer Always Connect gets users online faster than conventional connections for better productivity and infotainment enjoyment. With their Facebook, Twitter and email accounts open, users can see updates instantly upon resuming(3).
AcerCloud -- Enables Devices to Communicate and Simplifies Content Sharing
The Aspire S7 also ships with AcerCloud. This feature provides customers with remote access to the digital data residing on their Ultrabook via their tablet or smartphone. Not only can they access the data, but they can download and share it among their other PCs and mobile devices anytime, anywhere, even when the S7 is in sleep (standby/hibernation) mode. As long as the Aspire S7 is in sleep mode, Acer Always Connect technology can wake it up through Wi-Fi®, allowing the media to be retrieved via a mobile device. AcerCloud also makes it easy to take photos on a smartphone and then view them on their S7 at home or in the office, without the delay and complication of manually transferring files.
Pricing and Availability
The Aspire S7 Series starts at $1,199 for the 11.6-inch model and $1,399 for the 13.3-inch model. The Aspire S7 series will be available for purchase on October 26 at leading retailers across North America.
Since its founding in 1976, Acer has broken barriers between people and technology, enabling users to explore, create and grow. Acer ranks No. 2 for notebook PCs globally(1). The Acer Group employs 8,000 people across the globe, and revenues for 2011 reached US$15.7 billion.
Acer's channel business model is instrumental to the company's success, while its multi-brand approach integrates Acer, Gateway, and Packard Bell brands in worldwide markets. Acer designs environmentally friendly products and, with its vendors, has established a green supply chain.
Acer is proud to be a Worldwide Partner of the Olympic Movement. That includes supporting the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games and London 2012 Olympic Games.
More information is at www.acer-group.com.
© 2012 Acer Inc. All rights reserved. Acer and the Acer logo are registered trademarks of Acer Inc. Other trademarks, registered trademarks, and/or service marks, indicated or otherwise, are the property of their respective owners.
- Source: Gartner data, FY 2011.
- Actual battery life varies depending on product specifications, computer settings and applications or features launched. All batteries’ maximum capacity diminishes with time and use.
- Time based on testing with the following applications open: Internet Explorer 9 (Internet search and email web pages), Microsoft PowerPoint viewer (file size 68 MB) and Microsoft Excel (file size 108 MB) of Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, and logged in to Windows Live Messenger 2011.
- The Ultrabook enters Deep Sleep after 75 minutes in Sleep mode, or after the period set by the user. In this mode, battery life lasts up to 15 days if the battery is fully charged when the Ultrabook enters Sleep.